This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here.

Temporary Loading

Off-site activities insurance - What’s covered.

Worldwide coverage

What is Chubb Off-site activities Insurance?

All trips are automatically covered within the UK and overseas, removing the need to pay for equivalent insurance which may be added to the costs of trips organised by third party providers.

Nursery school pupils and teachers are also covered at the same rates as Primary school pupils and teachers. Not only are pupils and staff covered but anybody authorised by a participating school to attend an off-site activity is also covered free of charge, along with Work Experience placements for secondary school pupils helping your risk management of authorised trip helpers.

The age limit for all insured persons is 75, substantially reducing the need to query the age of older helpers and assistants on trips.

Prior to announcing the trip, you need to check your activity insurance to ensure you are clear about what you are insured for, the amount and extent of the cover, and any exclusions or other conditions applying to the policy, also whether the insurer provides Emergency Support and Assistance in the location of your visit and what the assistance telephone number is?

If you are abroad do you have arrangements set up for any medical bills that may need to be paid.

If you are undertaking hazardous activities, have you checked the policy conditions regarding exclusions and the use of safety equipment? Have you checked that any child requiring medicines e.g. inhalers will bring personal supplies with them, and that you have had instruction in how to administer them?

Off-Site Activities Benefits

Categories of Insured Persons

  • Category A: Any pupil enrolled at a participating school.
  • Category B: Any member of the teaching and support staff at a participating School.
  • Category C: Any adult who is acting in a supervisory capacity as a volunteer, assistant or helper and is authorised by the participating school to undertake a journey.
  • Category D: Any child other than as described in Category A. who is authorised by the participating school to undertake a Journey.

When your Cover is Effective

Any organised trip undertaken by an insured person with the authorisation of the participating school involving travel outside the designated school boundaries of the participating school.

In respect of trips of less than one day’s duration cover shall commence from the time of leaving the school boundaries until arrival back within the school boundaries.

For trips of more than one day’s duration, cover is extended to include travel directly from the insured person’s home address to the place of official assembly at the beginning of the trip and travel directly back to the home address upon completion of the trip, again for no additional charge.

On-Site Activities Cover

The on-site cover is a great addition to have in place when it comes to the normal activities of a school’s year such as sports, open evenings, concerts, and fares or just to give parents reassurance that pupils are protected whilst attending school.

This extension of cover helps the school manage its risk of accumulations of lives whilst on the school premises.

It is available on an annual basis, an annual premium per pupil is charged depending on the scale selected, total pupil numbers for the year are all that need to be declared.

For ease of administration there is no need to declare the activities undertaken, this product enables schools to provide pupils with Personal Accident insurance for its on-site activities.

Teachers, supporting staff and any adults acting in a supervisory capacity as volunteers, assistants or helpers are covered free of charge with an age limit for all insured persons of 75.

The scale of benefit is flexible and can differ from what has been requested for off-site activities.

There are no excesses under this section, meaning no surprises for the school or the parents should a claim be made.

Categories of Insured Persons

  • Category A: Any pupil enrolled at a participating school.
  • Category B: Any member of the teaching and support staff at a participating school.
  • Category C: Any adult who is authorised by the participating school to act in a supervisory capacity as a volunteer, assistant or helper.

When your Cover is Effective

Categories A, B: Whilst undertaking school duties within the participating school’s designated boundaries and including travel directly to and from the insured person’s home and school.

Category C: Whilst undertaking the supervision of pupils enrolled at a participating school, when they are travelling in an organised group, directly to and from their home and the school.

Insurance and Parents

Make sure parents are aware of the scope of the insurance cover provided. Copies of the insurance schedule should be made available to parents as early as possible.

EHIC Emergency Medical Support

Some EU countries can give health care to EU nationals. The EHIC, or European Health Insurance Card, is free and gets free or discounted medical care in all 28 EU countries.

The EHIC card is the certificate of entitlement to free or reduced cost treatment and must be completed by child’s parent, this is available via

Print the application form from the NHS website, fill it in and post it to: NHS Business Services Authority, European Health Insurance Card, EHIC Applications, Bridge House, 152 Pilgrim Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 6SN, or call 0300 330 1350.

It is advisable to take a contingency fund as sometimes treatment must be paid for in advance and money has to be claimed back later. reports the following on its website (as at 24/01/2014)

“Worryingly, we've heard reports holidaymakers have had their EHICs refused for public healthcare in some countries. This has only affected a very small minority of travellers, and you should always take an EHIC nevertheless. But it's worth ensuring you've decent travel insurance too, just in case.

Which countries have been affected?

The European Commission's confirmed EHIC refusal has been reported in some parts of Spain, particularly in Andalucía and Catalonia. These areas include popular destinations such as Barcelona, Malaga and the Costa del Sol.

Hospitals have reportedly insisted people take private treatment, which costs money, and in some cases individuals have been asked to sign a 'medical consent form'. This is actually a consent form for private treatment.

The UK's Department of Health has confirmed it's had reports of similar EHIC refusal problems in Greece, though it's had fewer complaints about this.

The Spanish authorities told the European Commission that in July 2013 they gave extra guidance, reiterating Spanish public health services shouldn't ask for additional insurance if EU citizens present an EHIC. The Commission says it's monitoring how this is applied before deciding if further action's necessary.

Be careful what you sign

The European Commission's told us that if your EHIC's refused for public healthcare, it's likely to be a breach of EU law. To ensure you don't get caught out, ALWAYS check you're being treated under the public (rather than private) healthcare system when you show your EHIC.

Be very careful what you sign, particularly if you don't understand it, and be prepared to go elsewhere if you're refused public treatment. If it's a medical emergency and this means you're forced to pay for private treatment, gather as much as evidence as possible.

You can then contact the local British Embassy while abroad, or when you return home, report it to the European Commission's SOLVIT system, which works to ensure EU rules are applied correctly.

Cancellations and Insurance

Group leaders should forward any cancellations to Chubb and/or tour operator as soon as possible in writing if a replacement is not available. Delays in notification may result in cancellation charges.

12 months cover from £280
*inclusive of IPT.

Get an instant quote in a few easy steps.

Get a quote

“£25,000 paid to a pupil following an On-Site accident”